Neurology in Puerto Rico
Neurology deals with the treatment of disorders of the nervous system. The nervous system is a complex, sophisticated system that regulates and coordinates body activities. It is divided into two parts:
1. Central nervous system: the brain and spinal cord.
2. Peripheral nervous system: all other neural elements, such as eyes, ears, skin, and other sensory receptors.
Neurological care in the United States has become prohibitively expensive, causing many to seek more affordable care. Care for neurological disorders in Puerto Rico is often 40% to 60% less than the same care in the mainland USA.
Neurologists in Puerto Rico treat disorders that affect the brain, spinal cord, and nerves:
- Cerebrovascular disease (stroke)
- Demyelinating diseases of the central nervous system (multiple sclerosis)
- Headache disorders
- Brain infections
- Movement disorders (Parkinson’s disease)
- Neurodegenerative disorders (Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s disease, and Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (Lou Gehrig’s disease)
- Seizure disorders (epilepsy)
- Spinal cord disorders
- Speech and language disorders
Additional conditions that may be treated by neurologists include stroke, epilepsy, neuromuscular disorders, sleep problems, pain management, or movement disorders.
To learn more or to book your neurology care, please call or email the Contact Center today.